browser icon
You are using an insecure version of your web browser. Please update your browser!
Using an outdated browser makes your computer unsafe. For a safer, faster, more enjoyable user experience, please update your browser today or try a newer browser.

Motorcycle Adventure. Let’s beat this once and for all. Part 1 – The Gas Tank

clymer
Posted by on September 25, 2014

Back in February my wife approached me that it was fiscally responsible to replace our recently totaled car (not our fault) with a commuter motorcycle for me. It took me all of 3 seconds to agree with her.

I got the bike, a beautiful 2006 Vulcan 750.  A month later the problems began. I have fought with this bike for 8 months and I’ve tried many different things. I finally got tired of shooting in the dark and have decided I’m going to fix this thing once and for all.

I purchased a Clymer’s manual and began reading.

clymer

Clymer Manual.  DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!

 

 

Boy do I wish I had purchased this before.  I was being hardheaded and wasn’t listening to my brothers over at www.vn750.com  Needless to say, my understanding is increasing and I am now ready to conquer this thing and figure I might as well Chronicle the entire adventure here.

Based on my reading and experience from a fellow local vn750 rider I am starting at the fuel system.

The Tank

Tonight I cleaned out my tank.  I didn’t have much time as the sun went down so pic are sparing tonight.  I flushed the tank 4 times.  I decided that I needed to visually see what was in my tank.  I had tried flushing before but again I had no clue what I was doing.

I removed the seat, then disconnected the tank vent,  fuel gauge wires, Carb vent tube from the underside of the tank on the fuel gauge nipple (I’m earshaved and it’s simply a dead air location), the 2 fuel lines and vacuum line from the petcock (fuel valve), unbolted the two 12mm bolts holding the tank on (my bike does not have the third bolt under the seat and on the rear of the tank, it’s stripped out) and removed the tank.

I placed it on a scrap of plywood.  I got a gas can, large funnel and paint strainers, the kind that are funnel shaped with a netting and fit in the funnel.  Turning the tank on it’s side, petcock up, I unbolted the two 10mm bolts, carefully removed the petcock taking care not to damage the 2 attached strainers (the only filter we have on this bike).  With a strainer in funnel and funnel in gas can I turned the tank carefully petcock side down and poured the fuel into the gas can.  As the tank emptied, I progressively increased the angle at which I was pouring, attempting to get the fuel to pool over the hole before coming out and allowing any sediment to come out.

Once empty, I replaced the petcock, opened the gas cap, put a new strainer in the funnel, funnel in tank and poured the gas from the can into the tank.  Closing the gas cap, I sloshed, shook and rocked the tank trying to keep the gas settling on the petcock area.

I then put my first strainer back in the funnel and repeated the process going from the tank to the can.  I absolutely made sure to always keep 1 strainer for pouring from tank and one for pouring from can.  This allowed me to keep track of what crap was in the tank and what crap was in the can and kept the gas clean.  I repeated this process 4 times and each time the strainer collected what was in the tank.

It definitely paid off because this is what I found in my tank.

Crap in my tank

Crap in my tank

Put everything back together, fired her up, let her warm up, ran around the block aaaaannnndd….she spit and sputtered and stalled multiple times on the way back. The problem is still here…sigh.  I have to keep the throttle up and feeding her w/ fuel to keep from stalling.  Still think it’s a fuel delivery issue.

I’m not going to get angry this time around.  I am no longer shooting in the dark.  Systematically I WILL beat this.

Since I already recently thoroughly cleaned the carbs (replaced many parts inside as well), rebuilt the petcock and replaced the fuel and vacuum lines, I figure there might just be something wrong with this petcock and/or  the vacuum actuation.

Next up.  All new petcock. Leaving the vacuum design behind and using a TW200 which will allow free flow.

Tune in for part 2 later.

,Mike

 

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *


*